Thursday, January 5, 2012

Great Impressions DT - Hello, Cupcake!

Today is the day...my first Design Team post is up on Great Impressions' blog! I'm excited to be a part of the team and showcase their designs along with the other team members. Every Thursday I will have something new for you!

The December Stamp of the Month stamps were birthday themed and since I love to bake it was no surprise these cupcakes called to me!


How long has it been since you used liquid appliqué? I think the last time I used it was Christmas last year! Originally I was going to just glitter the cupcake tops, but as I was rummaging through my glitter drawer I found a couple of tubes of white liquid appliqué and I knew right away these bits of cake were going to need a little bit of 'frosting' and glitter to dress them up...

First I stamped the cupcakes with Memento Tuxedo Black - my most used black ink - and then I die cut the panel with Spellbinder's Scalloped Ovals (I have both sets and I'm not sure which set this particular oval came from...) Then I 'water' colored the liners using a water brush and Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I colored the heart and cherry using Spica pens, so they would have a little shimmer, too!

Lately, I have really liked the soft gently used look I get after inking the edges of my panels, so each cardstock panel has been distressed using Vintage Photo and a blending tool with foam.

Now comes the fun part...I have the older squeeze tubes, but if you have the new 'paint' pens this should work just the same...paint on the frosting, making sure to leave the lines and dots untouched (see photo) and then immediately sprinkle the wet liquid appliqué with glitter.

Yes, while it's wet! Time to get out your heat gun and tweezers. Heating from the bottom, heat until the liquid appliqué begins to puff. Be careful not to burn your paper (or your fingers!)

Let the panel cool before adhering to the card. The 'frosting' will be soft, so be careful not to squash it!

As for the rest of the card, cut the panels. Using the lovely Flourish Frame stamp and emboss the image in white onto the bottom panel. Ink all the edges of the panels.

Cut, wrap and adhere a strip of ribbon to the Kitchen Medley panel. Make and trim a bow out of the same ribbon.

Layer and adhere embossed cardstock, Kitchen Medley panel with ribbon and then using foam tape adhere the scallop panel. A glue dot works perfectly for the bow.

That's it! This card is easily made assembly style...just in case you need to make a few! Here's the finished card:


Haven't decided who's going to get this card, yet...but it won't be laying around for long...I've got a lot of birthdays coming up!

Hope your Thursday includes some creative time!

Inky hugs,
Angi

{Note: Great Impressions' Stamp of the Month program is available in stores. To see if there's a store near you, click HERE.}


Supplies:
Stamps:   Great Impressions Stamps Cupcake Border (E743)Flourish Frame (K96)
Ink:   Memento Tuxedo Black; Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo; Versamark Watermark
Patterned Paper:   Little Yellow Bicycle "Savor" Kitchen Medley
Tools:   Spellbinders Scalloped Oval Nestabilities, heat gun
Embellishments:   ribbon,
Other:   foam tape; white liquid appliqué; American Craft Zing Embossing Powder White; Tim Holtz Blending Tool; Glue Dots; Atyou Spica Lipstick; Bow Easy 

No comments: